Come join Building Community
Priority A: Building connections through social events. Informal gatherings can be critical to build community, and can be challenging in a large department that is spread across campus. This working group will sponsor department-wide events such as morning tea, lunch on the lawn, and music showcases.
- Department has created social committee: monthly coffee, third Thursday gatherings
Priority B: Addressing equity and inclusion in departmental structure, meetings, and functions. The hierarchical structure that is common in academia has shaped who participates in different departmental functions and how. We will assess how to make departmental events and decision-making more representative of the overall department. This will include developing on-boarding resources for new departmental members to familiarize them with DEI resources, reporting, and expectations (expectations at the departmental-level would be supplemented by those developed by each unit/lab).
- Department faculty mentorship and on-boarding committee is addressing many of these points for faculty
Priority C: Developing a community dedicated to advancing DEI in the department and beyond. Community-building will occur through DEI-focused meetings, such as journal club and book club.
- Quarter-long ACCELERATE discussion group in Fall 2020, focused on developing best practices for more equitable teaching
Priority D: Building networks to support departmental members. This group will develop networking events and groups to address specific career-tracks and stages (e.g., postdoc network).
- Regular postdoc community-building events
- In development: Plant Sciences Parents group
When we meet:
3rd Monday of the month 4-5 pm
- Jessie Au, firstname.lastname@example.org